For all job postings, please send cover letter and resume to Molly Gleason at email@example.com
Volunteer Outreach Intern
Posted February 13, 2017
Application deadline: April 1, 2017
Approximate Time Frame: May – September
Location: Springfield, IL
Illinois Stewardship Alliance seeks a volunteer Outreach Intern to assist with coordinating communications for local food and sustainable agriculture programs. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to increase skills, knowledge and abilities in community outreach, organizing, web design, and online communications. Enthusiasm for local food systems and sustainable agriculture issues is preferred. The Outreach Intern works with the Communications Director to carry out duties within local food and sustainable agriculture programs.
Supervision and Hours
The Communications Director will supervise the position. Estimated average weekly commitment is 15-20 hours, and includes communication with staff and Buy Fresh Buy Local members, as well as coordination of outreach, communication, and tabling.
- Assist with Buy Fresh Buy Local website updates and design
- Assist with local food program (Local Flavors Restaurant Series, Farmers Market Fresh Cooking Classes, Eat Local Challenge) outreach and communications, including promotional materials, publicity, and mailings.
- Assist with social media management and campaigns
- Assist with tabling at events, field days and farmers markets, including, but not limited to: set up and break down; talking about ISA’s work; conducting educational activities and selling promotional materials
- Assist with development of newsletter content- including writing blog post featuring area farmers or developing/testing/photographing recipes featuring fresh produce
- Assist with development and distribution of marketing materials
Skills and Abilities Desired
- Basic Web design skills and graphic design skills are desirable (WordPress, WIX, Canva, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator)
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Social media marketing experience
- Photography skills
- Ability to perform a variety of administrative tasks, including data entry and excel spreadsheet management
- Ability to communicate clearly, set goals, ask for feedback, and work as a team member
- Ability to provide a high level of social interaction with the public at community events and speak to them about the organization’s activities.
- Some travel may be required.