For all job postings, please send cover letter and resume describing experience, desire and/or suitability for the position to Molly Gleason at email@example.com before the posted application deadline.
Posted: July 14, 2017
Application Deadline: August 1, 2017
Part-time, 24-30 hours/week
We are a small but mighty nonprofit organization with members across the state who love good, local food and care deeply about the folks that raise and produce it. We’re looking for a new member of our team who can work behind the scenes to support the day-to-day operations of our organization and help us grow our power to make a healthier, more just food system.
As Operations Coordinator, working under the direction of the Executive Director, you will handle our incoming communication, welcome visitors, help us manage our finances and internal operations, keep track of members in our database, support our ability to grow our membership, and help keep our office a great place to work and make a difference. We are searching for candidates with some Quickbooks or accounting experience but we are willing to train the right candidate. This position requires juggling, organization, professionalism, patience, and positivity.
About the Alliance
Headquartered in Springfield, Illinois, the Illinois Stewardship Alliance is a statewide, membership-based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that supports stewards of the land and their efforts to cultivate sustainable, vibrant, and just local food systems. We envision a food system where soils are treated as a precious resource; local food producers earn a fair, living wage; local food education is integrated into all levels of education; infrastructure is rebuilt to accommodate local food systems and good food is available for all.
Support accurate bookkeeping in partnership with the Accountant. 25%
- Enter bills, payroll, contributions, and memberships into QuickBooks
- Enter income and expenses into appropriate accounts and classes
- Reconcile bank, savings, and business credit card accounts
- Run financial reports for board of directors
- Update bookkeeping procedures and chart of accounts
- Maintain year to date budget
- Prepare and record bank deposits
- Mail bills, prepare mailing labels and envelopes
- Handle human resources related functions, ie. timesheets, health insurance, retirement
- Work closely with accountant for accounts payable/ receivable
Track and manage grant income. 15%
- Track grant information including due dates, budgets, and reporting
- Track grant expenditures by utilizing and improving internal budget sheets
- Utilize spreadsheets to track all grant funds and allocations according to project budgets
- Prepare financial reports
Manage membership database 25%
- Maintain membership and contact database (Giftworks, Constant Contact), enter new contacts, update address changes, record membership payments and donations, add new members, monitor credit card donations on website and through online payment sources
- Manage recruitment and retention tracking and reports
- Support and train other staff on best practices in the database
- Prepare thank you letters, renewal letters to membership monthly and year-end appeal letters
- Prepare membership lists for phone banks
Facilitate efficient daily office operations. 25%
- Answer phones, check voicemail and take messages
- Open, distribute and process daily mail
- Order and pickup office supplies
- Organize and file membership cards, invoices, board minutes, bank statements, etc.
- Prepare board packets, label and mail
- Participate in meetings and staff Illinois Stewardship Alliance events
- Assist in planning and executing events/meetings
- Share responsibility for general office maintenance and cleaning
Support program work and ISA events. 10%
- Prepare mailings and assist in proof-reading of text as-needed
- Assist in registration, tracking and confirming RSVPs to Alliance events
- Support staff in promoting the Alliance’s programs, mission and vision
- Assist with bulk mailings, copying, and other duties as requested
A minimum of two years of experience in a nonprofit organization with an emphasis on database entry and donor management systems. Must be adept at Microsoft Suite including Word and Excel, experience with Quickbooks, detail-oriented, organized, reliable; interest in local food, sustainable farming and social change.
Top candidates will have these skills:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and phone skills
- Specialized computer/database training, including at least two years database experience in a non-profit setting or demonstrated willingness and ability to learn quickly.
- Attention to detail and accuracy as well as ability to manage multiple objectives.
- Proficiency in all MS Office applications, business e-mail systems and database management and excellent command of the Internet.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Experience with standard office procedures.
This is a part-time, salaried position. Hours are 24 – 30 hours/week, weekdays, beginning at 8:30am. Salary range is $20-25,000, commensurate with experience and skills. 10 days of vacation, paid holidays, and retirement benefits are included.
Our Hiring Process
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We will begin scheduling phone interviews on July 17th.
- We will conduct short phone interviews in July and begin in-person one-hour interviews in late July, early August.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round one-hour interview, and we will make an offer shortly thereafter.
We would like to have the selected candidate start as soon as possible, in July or August. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
Email a resume and a cover letter explaining why you want to work with Illinois Stewardship Alliance with “OPERATIONS COORDINATOR” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an electronic confirmation of your email submission. Please, no phone calls.
Volunteer Outreach Intern
Posted July 14, 2017
Application deadline: September 1, 2017
Approximate Time Frame: September – December
Location: Springfield, IL
Illinois Stewardship Alliance seeks a volunteer Outreach Intern to assist with coordinating communications for local food and sustainable agriculture programs. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to increase skills, knowledge and abilities in community outreach, organizing, web design, and online communications. Enthusiasm for local food systems and sustainable agriculture issues is preferred. The Outreach Intern works with the Communications Director to carry out duties within local food and sustainable agriculture programs.
Supervision and Hours
The Communications Director will supervise the position. Estimated average weekly commitment is 15-20 hours, and includes communication with staff and Buy Fresh Buy Local members, as well as coordination of outreach, communication, and tabling.
- Assist with Buy Fresh Buy Local website updates and design
- Assist with local food program (Local Flavors Restaurant Series, Farmers Market Fresh Cooking Classes, Eat Local Challenge) outreach and communications, including promotional materials, publicity, and mailings.
- Assist with social media management and campaigns
- Assist with tabling at events, field days and farmers markets, including, but not limited to: set up and break down; talking about ISA’s work; conducting educational activities and selling promotional materials
- Assist with development of newsletter content- including writing blog posts featuring area farmers or developing/testing/photographing recipes featuring fresh produce
- Assist with development and distribution of marketing materials
Skills and Abilities Desired
- Basic Web design skills and graphic design skills are desirable (WordPress, WIX, Canva, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator)
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Social media marketing experience
- Photography skills
- Ability to perform a variety of administrative tasks, including data entry and excel spreadsheet management
- Ability to communicate clearly, set goals, ask for feedback, and work as a team member
- Ability to provide a high level of social interaction with the public at community events and speak to them about the organization’s activities.
- Some travel may be required.
Old Capitol Farmers Market Internship/Seasonal Position Job Description
Posted April 23, 2017 – FILLED
Application Deadline: May 1st
Time Frame: May – October 28, 2017
Illinois Stewardship Alliance (ISA) seeks Intern or Seasonal Employee to assist with staffing the Old Capitol Farmers Market held in downtown Springfield. The 2017 Market is managed by Illinois Stewardship Alliance in partnership with the Downtown Springfield, Inc. The market is located in the heart of Downtown Springfield at the corner of 4th and Adams Street. It operates ever Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8am – 12:30pm for a total of 24 weeks, beginning Wednesday, May 17 and ending Saturday, October 28. The ideal candidate for this position will have an understanding of farmers markets, community development and/or sustainable agriculture issues.
Supervision and Hours
The Market Manager will supervise the position. Estimated average weekly commitment is 8-10 hours at $10/hour and includes communication with vendors, staffing OCFM booth and assisting with market reporting. Market Schedule for Staff Wednesdays and Saturdays: 6:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Shifts may vary.
- Assist Market Manager with vendor communication, market logistics, promotion and other aspects of twice-weekly market.
- Staff Old Capitol Farmers Market information booth and provide information to farmers market patrons
- Utilize wireless point of sale machine to serve customers with transactions for SNAP or EBT (credit/debit) purchases and assist with reporting requirements related to token program.
- Utilizing market database to assign vendors spaces, update information and provide market map.
- Other duties related to the project. Skills and Abilities Desired
- Ability to communicate information about the Old Capitol Farmers Market clearly and positively.
- Strong customer service skills required.
- Ability to perform a variety of administrative tasks from clerical to Internet research and excel spreadsheet management.
- Knowledge of farmers markets, food, agriculture or community development desired.
To be considered, please email email@example.com with a cover letter and either a resume or employment application no later than May 1, 2017