For all job postings, please send cover letter and resume describing experience, desire and/or suitability for the position to Molly Gleason at email@example.com before the posted application deadline.
Old Capitol Farmers Market Internship/Seasonal Position Job Description
Posted April 23, 2017
Application Deadline: May 1st
Time Frame: May – October 28, 2017
Illinois Stewardship Alliance (ISA) seeks Intern or Seasonal Employee to assist with staffing the Old Capitol Farmers Market held in downtown Springfield. The 2017 Market is managed by Illinois Stewardship Alliance in partnership with the Downtown Springfield, Inc. The market is located in the heart of Downtown Springfield at the corner of 4th and Adams Street. It operates ever Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8am – 12:30pm for a total of 24 weeks, beginning Wednesday, May 17 and ending Saturday, October 28. The ideal candidate for this position will have an understanding of farmers markets, community development and/or sustainable agriculture issues.
Supervision and Hours
The Market Manager will supervise the position. Estimated average weekly commitment is 8-10 hours at $10/hour and includes communication with vendors, staffing OCFM booth and assisting with market reporting. Market Schedule for Staff Wednesdays and Saturdays: 6:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Shifts may vary.
- Assist Market Manager with vendor communication, market logistics, promotion and other aspects of twice-weekly market.
- Staff Old Capitol Farmers Market information booth and provide information to farmers market patrons
- Utilize wireless point of sale machine to serve customers with transactions for SNAP or EBT (credit/debit) purchases and assist with reporting requirements related to token program.
- Utilizing market database to assign vendors spaces, update information and provide market map.
- Other duties related to the project. Skills and Abilities Desired
- Ability to communicate information about the Old Capitol Farmers Market clearly and positively.
- Strong customer service skills required.
- Ability to perform a variety of administrative tasks from clerical to Internet research and excel spreadsheet management.
- Knowledge of farmers markets, food, agriculture or community development desired.
To be considered, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and either a resume or employment application no later than May 1, 2017
Volunteer Outreach Intern
Posted April 23, 2017
Application deadline: April 1, 2017
Approximate Time Frame: May – September
Location: Springfield, IL
Illinois Stewardship Alliance seeks a volunteer Outreach Intern to assist with coordinating communications for local food and sustainable agriculture programs. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to increase skills, knowledge and abilities in community outreach, organizing, web design, and online communications. Enthusiasm for local food systems and sustainable agriculture issues is preferred. The Outreach Intern works with the Communications Director to carry out duties within local food and sustainable agriculture programs.
Supervision and Hours
The Communications Director will supervise the position. Estimated average weekly commitment is 15-20 hours, and includes communication with staff and Buy Fresh Buy Local members, as well as coordination of outreach, communication, and tabling.
- Assist with Buy Fresh Buy Local website updates and design
- Assist with local food program (Local Flavors Restaurant Series, Farmers Market Fresh Cooking Classes, Eat Local Challenge) outreach and communications, including promotional materials, publicity, and mailings.
- Assist with social media management and campaigns
- Assist with tabling at events, field days and farmers markets, including, but not limited to: set up and break down; talking about ISA’s work; conducting educational activities and selling promotional materials
- Assist with development of newsletter content- including writing blog post featuring area farmers or developing/testing/photographing recipes featuring fresh produce
- Assist with development and distribution of marketing materials
Skills and Abilities Desired
- Basic Web design skills and graphic design skills are desirable (WordPress, WIX, Canva, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator)
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Social media marketing experience
- Photography skills
- Ability to perform a variety of administrative tasks, including data entry and excel spreadsheet management
- Ability to communicate clearly, set goals, ask for feedback, and work as a team member
- Ability to provide a high level of social interaction with the public at community events and speak to them about the organization’s activities.
- Some travel may be required.