Posted April 23, 2017
Application Deadline: May 12th
Time Frame: May – October 28, 2017
Illinois Stewardship Alliance (ISA) seeks Intern or Seasonal Employee to assist with staffing the Old Capitol Farmers Market held in downtown Springfield. The 2017 Market is managed by Illinois Stewardship Alliance in partnership with the Downtown Springfield, Inc. The market is located in the heart of Downtown Springfield at the corner of 4th and Adams Street. It operates ever Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8am – 12:30pm for a total of 24 weeks, beginning Wednesday, May 17 and ending Saturday, October 28. The ideal candidate for this position will have an understanding of farmers markets, community development and/or sustainable agriculture issues.
Supervision and Hours
The Market Manager will supervise the position. Estimated average weekly commitment is 8-10 hours at $10/hour and includes communication with vendors, staffing OCFM booth and assisting with market reporting. Market Schedule for Staff Wednesdays and Saturdays: 6:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Shifts may vary.
- Assist Market Manager with vendor communication, market logistics, promotion and other aspects of twice-weekly market.
- Staff Old Capitol Farmers Market information booth and provide information to farmers market patrons
- Utilize wireless point of sale machine to serve customers with transactions for SNAP or EBT (credit/debit) purchases and assist with reporting requirements related to token program.
- Utilizing market database to assign vendors spaces, update information and provide market map.
- Other duties related to the project. Skills and Abilities Desired
- Ability to communicate information about the Old Capitol Farmers Market clearly and positively.
- Strong customer service skills required.
- Ability to perform a variety of administrative tasks from clerical to Internet research and excel spreadsheet management.
- Knowledge of farmers markets, food, agriculture or community development desired.
To be considered, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and either a resume or employment application no later than May 1, 2017