May 1 – October 29, 2016 — Approximately 15 hours/week
Illinois Stewardship Alliance (ISA) seeks two positions – Intern or Seasonal Employee – to assist with staffing the Old Capitol Farmers Market held in downtown Springfield. The 2016 Market will be expanding, thanks to Downtown Springfield, Inc. joining forces with Illinois Stewardship Alliance (ISA) to manage the market vendors, and genHkids to boost the educational programming and amenities. DSI will continue its role to increase consumer awareness and participation and to serve as the liaison to our city partners.
The producer-only farmers market will continue its location in the heart of Downtown Springfield at the corner of 4th and Adams Street. It will operate on Wednesdays and Saturdays for a total of 25 weeks, beginning Wednesday, May 11 and ending Saturday, October 29. This is a total of 50 Market Dates. The Market will take place every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. and every Wednesday from 3:00 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. The ideal candidate for this position will have an understanding of farmers markets, community development and/or sustainable agriculture issues.
Supervision and Hours
The Market Manager will supervise the position. Estimated average weekly commitment is 15 hours and includes communication with vendors, staffing OCFM booth and assisting with market reporting.
Wednesdays: 1:30 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturdays: 6:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Assist Market Manager with vendor communication, market logistics, promotion and other aspects of twice-weekly market.
- Staff Old Capitol Farmers Market information booth and provide information to farmers market patrons
- Utilize wireless point of sale machine to serve customers with transactions for SNAP or EBT (credit/debit) purchases and assist with reporting requirements related to token program.
- Utilizing market database to assign vendors spaces, update information and provide market map.
- Other duties related to the project.
Skills and Abilities Desired
- Ability to communicate information about the Old Capitol Farmers Market clearly and positively.
- Strong customer service skills required.
- Ability to perform a variety of administrative tasks from clerical to Internet research and excel spreadsheet management.
- Knowledge of farmers markets, food, agriculture or community development desired.
The position will be approximately 15 hours/week for 27 weeks and pays $10/hour.
To be considered, please email email@example.com with a cover letter describing experience, desire and/or suitability for the position and either a resume or employment application no later than April 15, 2016.