Before you cast your vote on Tuesday, November 3rd, you deserve to know where candidates running for Congress stand on the most pressing food and farm issues.
This year, we worked with state and national partners to create a Food & Farm Candidate Questionnaire, featuring nine questions on the most pressing issues facing farmers and eaters.
Be sure to JOIN US every Tuesday from September until Election Day for “Eat Drink Vote: Your Guide to Food & Farm Issues this Election “ , we’ll meet with farmers and organizations from across the state to discuss key issues from Illinois Stewardship Alliance’s Food and Farm Candidate Questionnaire.
We sent the Candidate Questionnaire to 50 candidates running for Congress in every district in Illinois and asked how they would respond to issues from food security and corporate control to racial equity and climate change.
You’ll hear stories from farmers about how issues like food security, land access, climate change, and racial equity affect their lives, livelihoods, and the well-being of their community and surrounding ecosystem. Then we’ll discuss positive policy solutions that your congressional candidate can take to address these issues.
- Sept. 1: Increasing Food Security and Strengthening the Local Food Economy (video link)
- Sept. 8: The Next Generation of Farmers: Land Access and Barriers to Entry
- Sept. 15: Racial Equity in the Food System: Land Dispossession and Stolen Labor
- Sept. 22: City Foodscapes: Federal Support and Planning for Urban Agriculture
- Sept. 29: Creating a Level Playing Field: Consolidation, Farm Income, and Debt
- Oct. 6: Reducing Agricultural Runoff for Water Quality
- Oct 13: Farming as a Climate Change Solution
- Oct. 20: Access to Affordable Quality Healthcare
- Oct. 27: A Resilient Food System Post Covid-19
It’s time to vote in a better food system– join us in learning how.
With Election Day just around the corner, now is the time to urge congressional candidates to respond to the questionnaire and show that local food and regenerative agriculture matter.
We’ll publish every response in our Food & Farm Voter Guide, so you can know where your candidates stand and can make an informed choice at the ballot box.
You can help encourage candidates vying for your vote to respond.
Urge candidates in your Congressional district to complete the Candidate Questionnaire and make local food and farms part of their platform this election season.
We’ve made it easy to find your congressional candidates and take action with contact information and sample messaging.
We know you’re eager to hear your candidates’ responses. Sign up below to be the first to know! Well notify you when candidates in your district respond and send you a personalized copy of the Illinois Food & Farm Voter Guide featuring the responses of candidates in your district.