Certificates, Licenses, and Permits

All products sold at the Old Capitol Farmers Market must comply with local, state, and/or federal health ordinances and the vendor must supply documentation of such compliance to Old Capitol Farmers Market. An application is not considered complete without the inclusion of all applicable permits for all listed products. All permits and licenses must have been submitted prior to attending Market and must be kept current for the entire Market season. The following is a summary of permits and licenses that may be required to sell certain products. It is provided as an example and is not all-inclusive.

  • Bakers must provide certificate for approved baking facility or Cottage Food Operator notation from the Sangamon County Health Department. Learn more on the Food Sanitation Classes and Permits Page on their website.
  • Cottage Food Operator is a business person who produces or packages non-potentially hazardous food in a kitchen at their residence for direct sale at a farmers market. Learn more and what’s required at: http://web.extension.illinois.edu/cottage/index.cfm *subject to updates as of 2016 rulemaking
  • Eggs:  An egg license issued by the Illinois Department of Agriculture is required for anyone who transports and sells eggs anywhere except on the farm where the eggs were produced.
  • Herbs that are chopped, blended, packaged, or otherwise processed must be prepared in an inspected facility. Dry herbs, dry herb blends, or dry tea blends are allowed under the Cottage Food Act if they are intended for direct to consumer sale.
  • Honey from a producer selling more than 500 gallons must be extracted and bottled in an inspected facility.
  • Lotions, Creams and Cosmetic Makers must provide documentation for processing facility.
  • Maple Syrup must originate from an inspected facility.
  • Meat and Poultry Producers are regulated by the IDOA, Bureau of Meat and Poultry Inspection and USDA, Food Safety and Inspection Service. For information please visit www.agr.state.il.us.
  • Mobile Food Vendors must provide any licenses that may be required by the city/state/county where they will be preparing food on-site.
  • Mushrooms that are commercially-raised must have documentation detailing their source. “Wild mushrooms” picked in the wild shall not be offered for sale.
  • Pasta makers must provide certificate for approved processing facility.
  • Value Added Food Vendors must provide all local and state licensing, certificates & permits required to sell value added products. Value added food products include: Canned goods, dried products, fermented products, fruit butters, jellies and jams, herb vinegars, garlic-in-oil and other flavored oils.