Application Deadline: April 14th
Time Frame: May – October 27, 2018
Illinois Stewardship Alliance (ISA) seeks Intern or Seasonal Employee to assist with staffing the Old Capitol Farmers Market (OCFM) held in downtown Springfield. The 2018 Market is managed by Illinois Stewardship Alliance in partnership with Downtown Springfield, Inc. The market is located in the heart of Downtown Springfield at the corner of 4th and Adams Street. It operates every Wednesday and Saturday from 8am – 12:30pm for a total of 24 weeks, beginning Wednesday, May 16 and ending Saturday, October 27. The ideal candidate for this position will have an understanding of farmers markets, community development, and/or sustainable agriculture issues.
Supervision and Hours
This position will be supervised by the Market Manager. Estimated average weekly commitment is 8-10 hours at $10/hour and includes communication with vendors, staffing the Market Information Booth and assisting with social media marketing, data collection, and input. Market hours for staff Wednesdays and Saturdays: 6:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Shifts may vary.
- Staff Old Capitol Farmers Market information booth and provide information to farmers market patrons
- Use social media to highlight vendors and shoppers on-sight at the market each week, as well as develop social media campaigns to market the Farmers Market throughout the week.
- Use wireless point of sale machine to serve customers with transactions for SNAP or EBT (credit/debit) purchases and assist with reporting requirements related to token program.
- Assist Market Manager with vendor communication, market logistics, promotion and other aspects of twice-weekly market.
- Use market database to assign vendors spaces, update information and provide market map.
- Other duties related to the project.
Skills and Abilities Desired
- Ability to communicate information about the Old Capitol Farmers Market clearly and positively.
- Basic photography skills
- Familiarity with various social media platforms
- Strong customer service skills required.
- Ability to perform a variety of administrative tasks from clerical to Internet research and excel spreadsheet management.
- Knowledge of farmers markets, food, agriculture or community development desired.
To be considered, please email email@example.com with a cover letter and either a resume or employment application no later than April 14th, 2018.